Adults are generally considered competent to make decisions for themselves. However, due to debilitating medical or mental conditions, a person may be unable to make reasoned decisions in some or most situations. When situations arise in which an elderly parent or a disabled person needs assistance in maintaining a satisfactory and safe quality of life, a judge will be asked to appoint a guardian to protect the person’s interests and act on his or her behalf.

The person for whom a guardian is appointed is called the “ward” in the guardianship arrangement. A guardianship may be needed for extended periods of time, up to the lifetime of the ward, or it may be required on a more temporary basis, such as when someone is disabled by illness, accident, or injury and is unable to function independently for a period of time. Whether the person needing the care of a guardian is your elderly parent, your dependent child, or even yourself, it is helpful to enlist the expertise of an attorney knowledgeable in the area of guardianships.

The highly qualified estate planning and elder law professionals with the firm of Glenn A. Deig, Attorney at Law, are ready to answer your questions about guardianships and prepare the required documents for your guardianship petition.

A Message from Glenn A. Deig, Attorney at Law, regarding coronavirus (Covid-19)Click Here